Monday, September 21, 2009

Honey Bee Madness



I am very intrigued by raising honeybees in my backyard.  I found a website named appropriately enough  Backyard Hive which has some really interesting information about raising honeybees in top bar hives.  As I understand it bees are not thriving like they used to and lots of people who are familiar with the industry are urging people from every walk of like to take on beekeeping  in order to support the species. Beehives are now everywhere from a farmer's field, on the roof of high rises in New York city, and in school yards. I can't see why bees can't also have a home in my backyard. 

It's interesting that whenever I bring this subject up with anyone they act horrified. You would think I am talking about raising rattlesnakes. I can't imagine why bees instill such fear in people.  I need to do some more research and find out what type of hive is best in our Arizona climate and what we need to do before thinking about getting the actual bees.

P.S. The photo above is a nod to my kids who love The Bee Movie. Black and Yellow.

No comments:

Post a Comment